Mumbai: Mumbai police is expected to file a chargesheet in a couple of days against five accused in the photojournalist’s gang-rape case in Mumbai that triggered nationwide outrage.
“We are giving final touch to the chargesheet of the gang-rape case with whatever evidences we have collected so far. We are working on to file it before a court concerned by Tuesday,” a crime branch official said today.
“If we come across some more evidence at a later stage, we will file a supplementary charge sheet,” the official said, adding that the state’s legal department had also helped them ensure that there is no loophole in the chargesheet.
The victim was allegedly gang-raped by the five on August 22 evening when she had gone to the Shakti Mills compound with a male colleague on an assignment, police said.
The chargesheet will have the details of the victim’s ordeal, witnesses’ statements, crucial evidence collected from the spot, DNA analysis reports, phone call records and identification parade information, among others, police said.
Police claimed they have more than sufficient evidence against the five accused – Salim Ansari, Vijay Jadhav, Mohammed Kasim Hafiz Shaikh alias Kasim Bengali, Siraj Rehman Khan and a minor.
The government wants the case to be fast tracked so that the culprits are given harsh punishment at the earliest.
Officials from the Forensic Sciences Laboratories in Mumbai, Delhi and Ahmedabad are expected to send their reports to the investigating authority soon.
While the Mumbai and Delhi teams have focused on samples from the crime scene, the Ahmedabad team has recorded voice samples of the five accused.(NDTV)