New Delhi: The Patiala House Court on Saturday acquitted the trio of Sreesanth, Ajit Chandila and Ankeet Chavan in the 2013 IPL spot-fixing case.
Reports suggest that there were loud cheers of joy from the accused and their supporters inside the court.
They had banned from all forms of cricket by the BCCI since allegations of their involvement in IPL 2013 first emerged.
Additional Sessions Judge Neena Bansal Krishna, who was scheduled to pass the order on June 29, said that the order sheet was not yet prepared.
Speaking to ANI ahead of pronouncement of the order, former Rajasthan Royals cricketer Chandila said, “I had never seen such bad times before. I believe that my bad time is over, I am sure justice will prevail”
Additional Sessions Judge Neena Bansal Krishna had on May 23 reserved the order on framing of charges in the case for June 29 and asked the counsel appearing for the accused to file their written arguments, if any, by June 6.
Special Cell of Delhi Police had named 42 accused in the case in its charge sheet out of whom six are absconding.
The investigation carried out by police in the case had earlier come under scanner of the court which had questioned its theory of “match fixing”, saying there was prima facie no evidence showing that matches were fixed by the accused.
During the arguments on framing of charges in the case, the police had referred to telephonic conversations among the accused to buttress their claim that they were involved in match fixing and betting.
It had also alleged that call detail records clearly reflect the linkage of accused persons who were part of a crime syndicate to generate money.
Meanwhile, the advocates representing the accused had countered the police’s submissions contending that the probe had failed to show commission of any prima facie offence by their clients.
The defence counsel had also argued that there was prima facie no evidence to frame charges in the case.
The court had earlier declared Dawood and Shakeel as proclaimed offenders as they are evading arrest in the matter.
Police had told the court that properties of Dawood and Shakeel in Mumbai have already been attached in connection with the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case and that they have not visited India since 1993.